Friday, July 1, 2011

Linux Laptop Anti-Theft

A few days ago I thought about a anti-theft device for my laptop. I was thinking that maybe some type of software would be good. Something that send the location of the laptop. I wanted to do this without using a GPS, and it would only work if the whoever took it didn't wipe out the OS and software.

I didn't really find what I was looking for, but came across this - http://www.wains.be/projects/linux-anti-theft/ They kind of had the same idea I had, using the IP address, then hopefully with a warrant the police could get the location of the IP address that was used and get the laptop back.

Seems like a like of work, and I thought there must be a better way to do this.

Well, almost.... Taking the idea of using an IP address, I came across many sites that could geolocate the IP address - the draw back they only go to city level, and not street level.

I even came across a service that you access, and it give this information back as an XML page.

http://freegeoip.net/xml/ (You don't need to do anything, it will detect the IP addres and return information about it)

-<Response>
<Ip>174.xxx.xxx.xxx</Ip>
<CountryCode>US</CountryCode>
<CountryName>United States</CountryName>
<RegionCode>OH</RegionCode>
<RegionName>Ohio</RegionName>
<City>Hamilton</City>
<ZipCode>45011</ZipCode>
</Response>

This information is a little more useful, but only by a small percent.
So I am looking for a street level IP geolocation service, that hopefully also has a json or xml interface
Anyone know of any?

No comments:

Post a Comment